Botulinum Toxin, a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium A, can relax the muscles on areas of the face which cause wrinkles associated with facial expressions. Treatment with botulinum toxin can cause our facial expression lines or wrinkles to essentially disappear.
Areas most frequently treated are the glabellar area or frown lines, located between the eyes; crow’s feet (lateral areas of the eyes); and forehead wrinkles.
Botulinum toxin is diluted to a very controlled solution and, when injected into the muscles with a very thin needle, it is almost painless. You may feel a slight burning sensation while the solution is being injected. The procedure takes about 15-20 minutes and the results last 3-5 months. With repeated treatments, the results tend to last longer.
Pre and Post Treatment:
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOUR BOTULINUM TOXIN INJECTIONS
Avoid these products and/or procedures in area(s) treated:
• Depilatory Creams
• Laser Hair Removal
• Patients who have had medical cosmetic facial treatments or procedures (e.g. laser therapy, surgical procedures, cosmetic filler, microdermabrasion, etc) should wait until skin sensitivity completely resolves before having a toxin injections
• Patients who have had botulinum toxin injections should wait until full effect of their treatment is seen before receiving additional treatments
AFTER YOUR TOXIN INJECTIONS
It is crucial to the health of your skin and the success of your injection that these guidelines be followed:
1. Do not rub injection sites (this may cause migration of the toxin)
2. Avoid laying down for 4 hours after injection
3. Wait until the full effect of the treatment is complete before having ANY OTHER FACIAL PROCEDURES including:
• Laser treatments
• Laser hair removal
• Additional botulinum toxin injections
• Injectable fillers
Baumann, Leslie. Cosmetic Dermatology: Principles and Practice. 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill Medical, 2009.